Wednesday, June 6

Surgery Complete - We're Home

We are now home. I just fed Drew and put him to bed - hopefully for the night, but we will see.

We arrived at the hospital at 8:30 AM this morning for the pre-op work. We then waited until 11:40 AM, Drew's surgery time. He was such a wonderful patient! Despite being hungry (and tired) he managed to remain a happy little boy. He was even flirting with the nurses and showing off his cute laughter!

The nurses took him to the operating room around 11:15 AM. It was a lot harder to let him go than what we thought it would be. We tried to each lunch shortly thereafter, but neither Drew's Dad nor I had much of an appetite.

The surgery lasted about 3 1/2 hours. Dr. Kang was very pleased with the insertion of each of the electrode arrays and there were no surgical complications. Drew had a bit of fluid in his right ear but nothing that complicated the surgery. In addition, Drew's audiologist tested both arrays and they are working beautifully! We are very happy with the results and look forward to activation day on June 28th.

It took Drew about one hour to wake up after surgery. He woke up fairly happy and VERY hungry! He ate four ounces of pedialyte in just a few short minutes. I could tell that he was not quite himself; he didn't want to play with his toys very much and he just laid in my arms, very different from my wiggle worm. Since he was able to keep his food down the nurse released him from the hospital a little before 6 PM.

We would like to thank each of your for your thoughts and prayers for Drew. They certainly worked!


Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to take the time to update all of us who have anxiously been awaiting word! Now it is time for prayers of thanksgiving!

Put a new countdown clock on your blog for activation day when you have a chance!! Your journey's not over yet, but it sounds like you're off to a great start!! So happy and thankful!


jluckman said...

Jenny and family: We're SOOOO glad that the surgery went well and everyone is home. Get some rest... we look forward to hearing from you soon. The Luckman Family

Jennifer said...

That's awesome!! I was afraid he'd be sick...I felt awful after mine...he might feel rough for a few days, but little ones bounce back so much faster than adults do!
I'm so glad everything went well and he's home!! :)

Anonymous said...

We can't wait for the activation day!!
We're so happy for all of you!
It's basically a new start, and that's wonderful!
God Bless you!