The emergency room doctor, in an effort to calm my meningitis fears, gave me several warning signs to look for:
- Concerted effort not to move neck; patient will move entire body to look at something, stabilizing neck.
- Crying when put in a sitting or standing position.
- Showing no affection or desire to be held; patient is much happier laying by themselves than with others
- Seizure activity does not stop without medical intervention
- Diarrhea is NOT a sign of meningitis, but a typical virus
The only things that have calmed Drew this morning are being held by me with his neck turned toward the television and sitting on the couch watching Barney. I'm certain he has a virus, but another trip to the doctors office won't hurt.