Search

Sunday, April 5

Lip Reading

Drew wakes up each morning, and talks quietly in his crib for a little while. I always know when to finally go in his room and get him up for the day when the volume of his talking grows louder and louder. It is so nice that he wakes up happy each day and can entertain himself for a bit in his crib!

The other morning, as I walked into his room, with his ears in my hand, he started saying, "Mommy, I want lunch. I want lunch, Mommy."

I hadn't turned his ears on yet, so as I worked to get both of them turned on and ready, he continued, "I want lunch, Mommy," over and over. And over again.

I knew he must be hungry, since he never wakes up asking for food the way he was on this particular morning.

In an attempt to quite him down, and prevent any melt-down type behavior, I looked at him, with his ears still in my hand, and said, "Drew, it's not lunch time. It is time for breakfast. Let's get you dressed and then we'll eat breakfast!"

Drew paused for a minute, then looked at me and said, "I want breakfast, Mommy!"

Now, I certainly don't think that Drew understood every single word that I said, but clearly he was able to read my lips enough in our conversation to understand that I was telling him that it was time for breakfast. It truly is amazing how much of a hearing child he really is. Even without his ears, he is able to communicate.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 18 months old (currently in my 40s). Sometimes, without my hearing aids, I hear a phantom voice when I am lip-reading someone. Sort of like when someone can still feel from their leg but after their leg has been amputated.

Perhaps your son 'heard' your voice even if he didn't have his implants on.

Here It Comes said...

Emmi is lip-reading quite well also. We first discovered it when we made the mistake of discussing plans that she was not supposed to know about in front of her while I was changing the batteries in her processors. She immediately ran to inform her sister about what she had learned! I have since learned that whispering on the other side of the room also does not keep secrets, as she watches and picks up on what is being said. However, it is great for bathing, swimming, etc. It is especially great when we are swimming with other kiddos who don't know sign. We simply tell them to speak directly to her.

Jenny said...

this is such a cute entry.. i love reading about Drew. what an amazing kid he is!

Jennifer said...

Oh, I bet he did read your lips! They learn this skill quite quickly. I can have entire conversations with Cormac while his is in the tub and he answers back! I am always amazed at what he can lip read. The funny thing is when his "ears" are on he never looks at my lips! They are smart little cookies!

AngieShaw10 said...

Brilliant. My Mary lipread the word "pudding" at about a year old when we were just in the initial stages of her diagnosis. When she pays attention she can pick up quite a lot. they are too clever and keep us on our toes.