Search

Tuesday, March 25

Deaf NBA Player Has Cochlear Implants


Lance Allred was just signed to a 10-day contract by the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. While a fantastic accomplishment in itself, his stint in the NBA is even more spectacular considering he is deaf.

Lance has had around a 75% loss of hearing since birth, but now has (bilateral?) cochlear implants. In one article he described his implants as helping him hear most sounds, but when sounds are coming from behind him, sometimes he misses it. The result, he said, was that he'd been "wiped out" on several screens while playing basketball. Anyone who's played knows what that's like!

I'm not clear on whether Lance has one implant or two. I'll try to keep an eye out for him during the next few Cavs games, but if anyone knows for certain, please let me know.

Congratulations to Lance!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know either but I do know that he was 3rd in the nation in college basketball rebounding in 04-05! Um.... that's out of every single school that plays basketball. WOW.

Mom to Toes said...

Cool! Thanks for posting this.

I wonder, does he wear the processors on the court? I imagine that would be tricky.

I just may have to turn on a basketball game...

Drew's Dad said...

hetha - I'm surprised that I hadn't heard of him (or remember him), because that is impressive to be third in rebounding for all schools!

mom to toes - I don't know if he wears the processors on the court or not, but I assumed he did because of how he mentioned sometimes missing sounds from behind him and getting "wiped out" by someone he could not see.

If anyone finds out, let us know.

Laurie said...

Cool! I'll have to watch for him. Shouldn't be a problem for him to wear his processor(s) on court. . .there are ways to keep those on!

P.S. Go Tennessee Vols! Go Lady Vols!(Sorry, I had to put that in!)

~A Tennessee Fan

Anonymous said...

ill watch him .. turn on my ears that sounds great

Kindermusik with Celeste said...

My father sent this to me this morning. Evryone always tells us that cochler implants won't ever slow our children down and that anything is possible, but it's great to see that really happen with those also with implants. Thanks for posting.