Search

Tuesday, November 28

Now I Know What's Possible

It has been a little over a month since we were told that Drew was born with profound hearing loss. I have learned so much and come to terms with his deafness, but only because I have sought out information and individuals to help me understand my sons condition and the possibilities for him. If I would not have taken the initiative on my own, I don't know where we would be with this - I can't even imagine.

Why couldn't this have been easier? Why wasn't I told, "Congratulations, your child has profound hearing loss, here are the next 10 steps for you to take to ensure your child will hear." No matter how hard I searched, it took a lot of initiative to understand hearing loss and what medical interventions there are for my son.

It has been such a struggle to understand deafness. I had no idea that a child born deaf could talk. Why couldn't someone just tell me that in the first place? Why did I have to go to a school for the deaf over 400 miles from my home to get the hope I needed to carry on? I have gone through such an emotional struggle through all of this, when in reality there is so much hope that a child born with profound hearing loss will hear.

No comments: