Search

Monday, December 25

And to All A Good Night


Christmas brings out the sentimental side in me. It is a time remember Christmas' past - and boy are there some great ones! And for me today it was a time to think about Christmas future. A day when Drew will be able to hear and will be running around laughing and playing with toys like his sister did today. Christmas is also a perfect time to say the things we often think about but don't say.


I have had several people take time during the holidays to tell me how proud they are of how my husband and I have responded to this challenge. What I don't think you know is how much of an impact you have played in our ability to stay positive and strong (for the most part) emotionally.


I have always believed that things happen for a reason. And while I stay up late at night sometimes wondering why the Lord chose my son to be deaf, I do know that one day I will find the reason. And in some ways, I think I already have. This challenge has made me an emotionally stronger person. It has made my marriage even stronger. It has made my entire extended family stronger. It has made me appreciate the littlest things my children do, such as coo or laugh, just a little bit more. And, it has shown me who my true friends are.


To all of my family and friends, I want to tell you how much you mean to me and to say thank you. Thank you for being who you are and for caring so deeply and genuinely for the well being of my family.This has been the hardest and longest three months of my life, and I can not imagine how hard it would have been without my family and friends supporting me. I don't think I have told you enough how much I appreciate the things you have done for me and my family. Knowing that my daughter is well cared for, as I take Drew to one doctor's appointment after another, and watching her without any notice so that I am able to take Drew to the first appointment the doctor can see him, is priceless. Thank you for offering to watch Avery and Drew so that I can get out of the house to de-stress and get my mind off of what is going on. Thank you for the countless hours you have spent researching deafness and cochlear implants for me. Thank you for the phone calls you have made to your friends to help get Drew an appointment with a doctor sooner than what their office tells me. And thank you for talking about his deafness, rather than avoiding it, with me. This has been so hard, but the fight is worth it. And we will all get to enjoy the outcome together. A beautiful day in 2007 when Drew will hear me tell him that I love him. And after he hears that, I will tell him about all of his family and friends waiting to do the same.

No comments: