Search

Monday, February 5

Say a Little Prayer for Drew

I took Drew for his four month check-up on Friday. He is already 15 pounds, 10 ounces, which puts him over the sixtieth percentile in weight! Not bad for a boy born three weeks early. The doctor thought that Drew's development thus far is right on par for a four month old.

The doctor did notice a "clunk" in Drew's left hip upon examination, and recommended further testing. I took him today for an ultrasound of his hips to determine whether or not he has developmental hip dysplasia. The nurse that ran the ultrasound could not give me any results, as the pictures must be read by a doctor. I should receive a call tomorrow from the pediatricians office with the diagnosis.

While I am trying to remain optimistic, it is very hard. One of every one thousand babies born has developmental hip dysplasia; coincidentally, that is the same number of babies born with profound hearing loss. I know it can happen, and I know it can happen to my child.

Please keep Drew in your thoughts and prayers. If you would like to know more about this congenital condition and the treatment options, please click here.

No comments: