Search

Sunday, October 28

That's What Friends (& Family) Are For

Dear Family & Friends,

It's been a year? In some ways it seems like yesterday, in others it feels like forever. We have known of Drew's hearing loss for one year. My how things have changed, and yet somehow feel the same.

I would like to take a moment and thank those that have helped us in so many ways throughout this year. We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends that care so genuinely for our family. I can not mention everyone or every little act of kindness, so I picked a few things that stand out in my mind:

  • My Mom, Dad, Sister & Brother: Thank you. Thank you for giving me the pep talk I needed in the crucial moments after Drew was diagnosed. I don't know that I would ever stopped crying or gotten out of bed without your words of encouragement and support. Thank you for taking care of Drew's Sister with a moments notice so that I could take the first available appointment to see a doctor, audiologist or therapist. And thank you for loving all of us unconditionally. You mean more to us than you will ever know.

  • My MIL: You have tracked down more people than I probably know researching cochlear implants and oral deaf education. I know that you have spent many sleepless nights gathering as much information as you can for Drew. You have also talked with powers that be at Children's trying to get Drew in sooner than what they tell me over the phone. Drew is known all over the city because of how much you talk about him - only because you love him so much.

  • Drew's Great Aunt & Uncle: Thank you for calling upon a friend to get Drew in for his diagnostic ABR months sooner than we were originally scheduled. One of the hardest parts of this journey was the not knowing, and you shorted that time frame immensely. We can not imagine how different this journey would have been had we not traveled to St. Louis and seen the Moog School for Deaf Education. Those children gave us the hope we needed to carry on and to make the decisions needed for Drew to get him to this day. We are forever grateful.

  • My Friends: For picking up the phone the day you found out about Drew's hearing loss. I know that you sat at your computer, reading the email I sent with the diagnosis, for some time trying to think of the perfect words, but you realized that there were no words to say. I needed your phone calls more than you know. Thank you for not being afraid to talk about Drew's deafness with me. Thank you for calling weekly to see how the little guy is doing (or are you calling to see how I am holding up?). There have been so many unforeseen things that have come from Drew's hearing loss, and one is how this experience has deepened our friendship. I am blessed to be able to call you friend.

Drew is an amazing little boy and I feel so lucky that I am the one he will call "Mommy." Through this year we have all laughed and cried together. We have celebrated milestones that we at one time thought might not be possible. The love I have for him and his sister is indescribable. Drew has an amazing journey ahead of him and I know that he looks forward to sharing it with you.

Love, Drew's Mom

2 comments:

Laurie said...

What a beautiful sweet post! And Drew is lucky to be born in such a wonderful family and support system!

And that is no "accident!" He will do great! And so will you!

Mom to Toes said...

Laurie said it all. :D